Saturday, September 8, 2007

Nature's own path

Well this post has been a long overdue.The reasons are obvious of course.My college life has finally kicked off with plenty of excitement as it had promised.
I have joined Rajalakhmi engineering college which is located on the outskirts of Chennai(after scoring an average 91% in my boards and waiting for a pretty long engineering councelling to get finished)(http://rajalakshmi.org/).I have taken up Mechanical engineering.The bus journey to the col takes around an hour and ofcourse i travel by the college bus.So i board the bus early in the morning by 6:45 and i reach the place by 7:45 and the classes for the first years start by 8:15 and for the others it starts by 8.(Extra time for breakfast for first-years).Classes end by 3 with a 45 minute break for lunch in between.Buses leave the campus by 3:15 and i reach home by 4:30.
As expected there was ragging..but not inside the campus but takes place only on the bus.I was called to the last row of the bus and was seated on the steps of the bus.First i was asked to tell the English alphabets in the reverse order,which i did without any discomfort.Then i was asked to sing a Tamil song and then translate the same into English and sing with the same tune!!To the surprise(or amusement)of my seniors i did it with a fair amount of ease(I sang a song called 'Jalsa' from the movie Chennai-600028.Even as i was singing i realised i am a terrible singer...for i was always under the impression that i was somewhat better than Himesh Reshamayya.But when i sang out loud with an audience staring at me...i guess i have to reconsider my own impression....or maybe i really am better than Himesh...but still anyone can make such a claim).Then i was asked to ride a cycle:(.I started off pedalling in the air and one guy said "Will you ride a cycle without taking off its stand?".So i had to start over again...and was interrupted again...this time i had forgotten to open the lock on the cycle.I started over again.I was constantly interrupted for i was asked to lock the house door,wear my slippers,sing a song while riding and finally i had to skid over and fall off from the cycle.Each time i was interrupted i had start over the process right from the beginning.Finally,i managed to please my seniors and just when i thought that the 'fun' was over i was asked to tell 'actress tables'.For a second or two,i thought that my seniors have gone nuts.But i realised that this was the funniest part.First,i was asked to tell the names of 7 heroines(preferably tamil...as i was ordered).I started saying 'Asin,trisha,jothika,simran,sneha'(all tamil) and stopped saying 5 when i was asked to tell some big names.As i couldn't think of a Tamil actress having a big name...i said 'aishwarya rai and preity zinta'.Now...i had to say actress tables..which is like asin(the first name i said)*asin=asin....trisha*trisha trisha=trisha trisha...so on till 7.when i came to name number 3..i stammered a bit and hence i had to start all over again.When it was finally over i was let off with a smile from the seniors.When i came back to my seat i thought about it all over...a faint smile flickered on my face.Ragging was indeed fun.I put myself in the place of a senior and realised that no injustice had been done.Ragging/getting ragged is the best way to introduce yourself/get introduced.Just 3 days has passed since i was ragged and already the same seniors are my best companions in the bus.Had i not been ragged...i would have been sitting in loneliness and dozing off to pointless sleep during the long journey...but things have changed for the better.

Now i am thinking of what i am today...doing my engineering..soon to be a professional.But somehow i am not able to think of such a Vinodh.I still feel like a kid(and look like one too)and all my memories of my childhood has not faded.The images are still fresh in my mind.Will i never get to be a kid again?I can still be a kid if i obey what my heart tells me to...but my mind doesn't coordinate with my heart.Will i never get to play in the streets?Will i never get to break windows?Will i never get to wander aimlessly?Will i never get any more bruises?Such thoughts haunts me.The truth is looking down upon me...i have to accept the consequences of being 17.But...why i am listening to my brain rather than my heart?I have always considered myself to be unafraid of what others think...i have always considered myself to be unique...but am i really?Is it because of what you think that i am not acting like a kiddo?I don't like the answers.But as i think more deeply...i realise that the process of my blooming from 6 to 17 has taken its own time.I have transformed myself without realising it.I didn't figure out nature's path until yesterday.THIS is nature.We are supposed to transform at one stage or another...and it has to happen without our own realisation.I still don't know whether i am correct.I cannot be 100% correct...can i?If i am indeed correct...then that would mean i have understood nature's own path...which i feel is beyond human intelligence!
As i get used to my new life...i guess my heart WILL coordinate with my brain rather than my brain agreeing to act with my heart.Oh..that would be the worst thing to happen to me or for that matter anyone.
I am indeed 17..and am cruising on the journey called life.

7 comments:

Predicaments said...

nice read...althought you might wanna cut a little on the lenght...
Ps: i think everyone is better singer than himesh...

Vinodh said...

yeah...i agree with what you say..but since it had been quite a long time i posted..i didn't bother about the length..but i will make sure that i post regularly..
thanks!

AG said...

BOND post...college days are to cheer...account best on them

Cheers
ANKIT

void_spaces said...

good post ! reminds me of my own days in college ... enjoy it .. its gonna be one of the best times and before u realise ull be done with college !

Vinodh said...

@void_spaces..
i certainly do hope so!

Mr. Commonsensical said...

4 years of college life is the best part of your youth. You wouldn't agree when you are in S3 or S5, trust me on that. I wouldn't. I just wanted it all over. And now that its finally over, I realized how wonderful it was and how free we were.

This freedom will end with your BE graduation in 2010.

Nice post, and uh... Himesh - tell me someone who still listens to him.

Unknown said...

gr8 post dude...........inspires me to write one abt mine too.......